Sunday, May 1, 2016

Review: The Grind

The Grind The Grind by Kristen Kehoe
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This was a fantastic story. It just wasn't for me. It was really emotional and it kinda brought me down.

Hunter is a professional skateboarder. He travels all over the place but his mother gets sick so he goes home to help take care of her. Okay, that part isn't too bad. But then you add in the fact that every single one of his friends and family had a shitty life and is currently undergoing something that is emotionally hard.

-- Here is what I'm talking about.--His sister is struggling with school and dealing with her mother. Mal is in love with Naya but he never tells her. Brooks' sister dies and he runs away. Jordan(who is dating Brooks) his heartbroken because he left and because she was good friends with his sister. Maya had a terrible thing happen to her when she was 15 and she hasn't gotten over it and she is in love with Mal but won't tell him again. Isa's sister is dating a guy who is a liar and never wants to see his kid. The kid, Teo, is wanting to see his dad but is disappointed every time he doesn't.

I am exhausted after reading this book. Usually there is some happiness mixed in with the sad but there really wasn't in this book. They were having sex, sure, but the love aspect didn't happen until the very end. Both characters struggled with being in a relationship the whole book. They never went on a date and they never had actual conversation, they just had sex and then fought at work. Honestly I just didn't get it.

AND that ending... REALLY? I do not get that at all. To go from running away from each other to that? No and also Isa asking? Totally lame.

I liked Isa for the most part. If it wasn't for her sassy comebacks and her crazy family, I would have hated the book completely. At least I did laugh a few times when they had a family get together.

Like I said, this book just wasn't my style. I was hoping for more. If you are good with the depressing emotional stuff then this is a good book for you. I just don't like to feel depressed after I read a book. I want to be happy or at least understanding and I didn't get that with this book. I am just depressed right now..

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment